The Love Shack was created by and for those looking for understated luxury without a vast environmental price-tag. The house is managed personally by the people who built it - Karen & Adam, who have welcomed guests to this truly unique home since 2009.
Great care was taken to build the house sustainably and we hope you will enjoy your break with us even more in this knowledge.
This secluded house is finished to a very high specification, situated in its own small fenced woodland with nearby parking and stunning views of Lake Windermere and open fields. Many species of birds and an occasional red squirrel frequent the mature trees surrounding the house.
The Love Shack is accessed via an imposing covered timber porch beyond which a series of immaculate low timber steps leading upwards to the house. A generous hallway allows space for boots / rucksacks etc and up another small flight of steps you are led into the main open plan living space. Oak flooring and large picture windows generously reflect the dappled woodland light throughout the interior, whilst in winter the leafless trees allow sun and warmth to flood the space.
We have enjoyed furnishing the house comfortably and ethically, with our own characterful mix of bespoke pieces by a local joiner, curios and collectibles (mainly 20th C Modern) as well as new classics such as the circular Heal's 'Love Seat'.
The interior is decorated with local reclaimed timber, natural wallcoverings and organic paints. Low-energy lighting is used throughout, and we are establishing a green roof on the house.
- One double bedroom with double bed, organic linens, inset balcony, built-in wardrobe & picture window overlooking Lake Windermere, DAB radio. Reached by short enclosed staircase from living area (partially mezzanine)
- One open-plan south-facing living space accessed by staircase, with french doors onto large elevated deck with low-level lighting. Picture windows on two aspects. Compact modern kitchen (Corian worktops, halogen hob, combi oven / microwave, fridge with icebox, quality cooking equipment); sitting area, flatscreen TV (Sky Movies / Sport & DVDs) / DVD player; DVD & book library; Vita DAB radio / CD player / iPod dock, phone, wireless broadband & woodburning stove; dining area with electric heater; concealed washer / dryer
- Small modern bathroom with Japanese style square bath, towel warmer, shower and window with woodland view.
- Outdoor timber deck with firepit & furniture & elevated double hammock (seasonal)
- Covered, lit, entry porch & timber walkway with external lighting, deer fence around boundary with gate
- NEW! Secluded garden studio (with underfloor heating) and woodland views
All bedlinens & towels (though for environmental reasons we don't tumble dry ;-) / Unlimited wifi broadband & Sky TV / Welcome tray (usually includes something home-made and/or from our smallholding / Small supply of store cupboard essentials (incl. washing up liquid, toilet roll, salt / pepper, milk, butter, olive oil, tea, preserves etc).
In winter we supply a good few days worth of logs, thereafter guests can find them easily at local shops and garages. Mobile phone reception is patchy in the Lakes so we provide a landline at the house.
The local milkman can deliver milk and many other groceries to the house on request. if you're travelling without a car we may be able to help you by dropping off some shopping ahead of your arrival.
The house is cleaned using environmentally-friendly products.
For more details on the above see our Terms & Conditions.
The Love Shack's interior is fairly compact, so is suited to couples (single sex couples welcome) and singles. We welcome babies under 12 months (please bring your own travel cot & bedding), but please note that the house has two staircases and the garden is steeply sloped and unenclosed in places. We can also accommodate a well-behaved dog by prior arrangement (though please don't leave it unattended in the house).
We can provide a lovely (antique!) highchair on request.